Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful

I'm back!! :) I know it's been FOREVER!! This summer has flown by more quickly than I thought it could/would! I've been so busy at work, taking a class, and participating in The Music Man at Theatre in the Park! If you live in the Springfield area and you haven't seen it yet then you definitely should!! You have three more chances, July 24-26 at 8:00!

Anyway, I'll try to stop using being busy as an excuse because I think I've used it in at least half of my posts! I'm enjoying my night off and I figured I would write a post I've been meaning to write for the past week!

The Today Show posted this article about how JC Penney used mannequins representing five unique body shapes in their windows in their New York store. Reactions to the mannequins have been very positive. I don't know how long they will keep the mannequins in the windows, or if they've already taken them down. I hope it's not a one time thing though I would love to see mannequins that actually represent the human body in all different shapes and sizes.

From: http://www.today.com/health/were-all-different-jcpenney-shows-unique-mannequins-new-york-storefront-1D79928133
When I used to work at Talbots we had to do so much pinning to get the clothes to stay on the mannequins, and half the time the clothes ended up looking like they were a different fit/style than what they actually were. Why do retailers have to make it so difficult?!

Hopefully we will soon be seeing changes in the stores. This Swedish department store, Ahlens, has been using fuller mannequins in their stores since 2013. The mannequins the Swedish store used are supposed to be an American size 8 and a size 12 while the average American woman is a size 12 or 14.

More realistic mannequins aren't just in Sweden, they're in the U.S. as well. This article mentions several U.S. companies including David's Bridal, American Apparel, and Saks Fifth Avenue who are beginning to use more realistic mannequins. I don't think everyone needs to go as far as American Apparel when making realistic mannequins, but then again no one really pushes the boundaries like American Apparel!

What do you think about having more realistic mannequins? Do you think they impact yours, or others, shopping habits?

Thanks for reading! :)

Comments

Popular Posts